My husband is a sucker for brownies, actually any chocolate dessert, really. I have been perfecting my brownie recipe over the past year, and I think I finally found a winner. Once you make successful brownies from scratch, you will never go back to the boxed stuff again. It’s really pretty easy to make them from scratch, and they taste so much better!
My favorite way to make them is with a peppermint twist. And how do I do this you may ask? Peppermint essential oil. All it takes is a few drops (in my opinion, 4 drops is the perfect amount), and you have yourself a perfectly, minty, brownie treat. How much easier can you get than that?
I should note that you want to make sure you are always using the highest quality of essential oils when cooking or baking with them. Personally, I am only comfortable with Young Living essential oils. You can grab your starter kit (that comes with the Peppermint Vitality that I used in this recipe) here.
Perfectly Fudgy Peppermint Brownies
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4-5 drops Peppermint essential oil
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
a handful of chocolate chips (optional)
1. Grease an 8×8 baking pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl.
3. Whisk together melted butter, sugar, and vegetable oil until well combined. Add in eggs, vanilla, and Peppermint essential oil, and whisk until completely mixed.
4. In a separate bowl, combine cocoa powder, flour, and salt. I like to use a whisk, to make sure the salt is dispersed throughout. Add in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients slowly, and until they are just combined. You want to make sure that you are not over mixing!
5. Pour batter into 8×8 baking pan. I like to sprinkle chocolate chips on the top, but this is optional.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes, depending on your oven. For me, 22 minutes yields the most fudgy, gooey, brownies ever. You want them to be barely set, but not so much that they jiggle in the pan!